The City of Cape Canaveral is a 1.9 square-mile beach and coastal community with more than 8,900 residents. First named “Cape of Currents” by Ponce de Leon in 1513, Cape Canaveral was incorporated in 1963. The community is an integral part of the northern beaches area of Brevard County, catering to vacation, recreational, and seasonal visitors in addition to year-round residents.
Located on the Atlantic Ocean, it is bounded on the west by the Banana River and on the south by Cocoa Beach. To the north is Port Canaveral, the only deep water port between Fort Lauderdale and Jacksonville, and the busiest cruise port in the Western Hemisphere in 2000, with 3.8 million revenue cruise passengers.
Kennedy Space Center is located just north of the City of Cape Canaveral on State Road 3. Rockets have a long history on Cape Canaveral dating back to early 1950’s military launches. The United States chose the area, among other factors, because its proximity to the ocean allows over-the-water launches and the climate is amenable to year-round operation.
Other points of interest include Florida Solar Energy Center, Cherie Down Park, and 35-acre Jetty Park, which features a four and one-half-acre family beach, 1,200-foot fishing pier and 150 camp sites.